by Kerry Andersen
With celebrated cooler temperatures finally upon us, women in Southwest Louisiana are excitedly reaching for their favorite fall fashion staples. This season’s hero piece – the Shacket – is having a full-on moment as the top trending clothing item across the globe. Boutique racks are stuffed full of the hybrid shirt/jacket combo and every fashion magazine is featuring the ultimate year-round layering piece. Perhaps because the grab-and-go piece flatters all sizes, is easy to wear and instantly completes an outfit.
Shirt + Jacket = Shacket
So exactly what is a shacket? It looks like a shirt but is thick enough to be halfway between a shirt and a jacket. The silhouette is oversized with the details of a traditional button-down shirt (buttons, collar, chest pockets) but made from a thicker material. The feel is cozy meets cool. Shacket’s range from light and layerable to lined and textured, but they have one thing in common – effortless style!
Layer it up!
Move over denim – shackets are the new casual topper. Their versatility is what makes them a fashion essential. Pop one on to elevate your work from home look or grab one on the way out the door to pick up the kids from school. The shacket allows you to look put together without trying too hard.
• For an everyday easy chic look, layer the shacket over a funnel neck top and skinny jeans or joggers. Belt the shacket for a more polished feel or roll up the sleeves and wear it open for a low maintenance pop of color and warmth.
• Dress it up over cropped trousers and a tucked in top paired with pointy-toe boots.
• Wear one open over a floral midi or sweater dress paired with combat boots for a nod to 90’s fashion with a bit of edge.
• Choose a long and lean shacket with pockets (think trench coat but made from flannel) for more of an updated outwear look.
• Pop it on over activewear for the ultimate in comfort and style.
• Have fun with fabric. A plaid flannel shacket is the look of the moment, but look also for boucle, corduroy, army green canvas with military details and even faux leather.
• Special touches like Sherpa collars, raw edge hems, unusual fabric finishes or upgraded buttons deliver an elevated look all your own.
• Incorporate playful patterns into your wardrobe by choosing a shacket in a buffalo plaid check, houndstooth, or quilted fabrication.
• Heavier weight shackets with large pockets on the lower half are also referred to as ‘chore jackets’ and can provide a bit more warmth.
Bottom line? This is an easy to wear fashion trend that works for all ages, body types and budgets so grab a shacket and get out there!